Women seek plastic surgery on the breasts for a variety of reasons. Some women may have procedures to reconstruct or enhance the breasts to improve their self-esteem. Women with large, heavy breasts may undergo breast reduction for practical reasons. Adolescents with abnormal or asymmetrical breast development may seek plastic surgery for psychological reasons.
Breast surgery can be classified into five categories:
- Breast Augmentation in which the breasts can be enlarged with implants.
- Breast Reduction in which the breasts can be made smaller by excising breast tissue and skin.
- Mastopexy in which only excess breast skin is removed to eliminate sagging.
- Breast Reconstruction in which a part or the entire breast can be rebuilt after cancer surgery using a patient’s own tissue or implants.
- Nipple Surgery in which surgery is done only on the nipple to correct congenital deformities, such as an inverted nipple or to reduce large nipples.